Sea buckthorn Vatutinskaya: variety description, planting and care
Sea buckthorn Vatutinskaya (lat.hippophae Vatutinskaya) - fruit shrub obtained by pollination of Altai wild-growing varieties of the population. To grow sea buckthorn in your garden, you need to familiarize yourself with a detailed description of the variety, as well as learn how to plant and care for the plant in the future.
Botanical grade description
Vatutinsky sea-buckthorn is a medium-sized bush with a dense columnar crown. Shoots are gray-brown, dotted with a small number of thorns. The leaves are large, dark green, at the base are wedge-shaped. Leaves form later than flowers. Sea buckthorn flowers are small, heterosexual (male and female).
In the male flower, the receptacle has a flat shape, in the female - concave. Sea buckthorn is a dioecious plant. The fruits of the shrub are medium, oval, weighing about 0.6 g. The name of the plant explains the location of the fruits - they literally cling to the shoots. The thin peduncle has an average length. The berries are red, covered with skin. The fruit tastes sour. Separated from the shoots by dry separation.
- sugar (2.4%);
- acid (2.1%);
- vitamin C (220 mg);
- sea buckthorn oil (4.5%);
- carotene (5.1%).
The fruit ripening period covers the period from late summer to early autumn (August 25 - September 5). Productivity is 4.6 kg. The shrub reaches a height of 3-6 m. The variety is characterized by high frost resistance and is able to withstand temperatures up to -43 ° C. Since 2000, Vatutinsky sea buckthorn has been officially included in the State Register for the Central Region.
Did you know? In ancient China, medicines were made on the basis of sea buckthorn. Since 1977, the decorative varieties of this shrub have been officially used in the pharmacology of this country.
Pollination of sea buckthorn
For pollination of sea buckthorn to take place successfully, she needs a partner. To do this, you need to plant male and female individuals on one site. You can determine the gender of the bush by paying attention to the leaves: in the female specimen they are green, and in the male specimen they have a bluish tint.
In addition, female kidneys are dicotyledonous, and male kidneys are dicotyledonous. Pollination occurs in the spring, when flowering begins and flowers bloom.
Important! Without pollination, sea buckthorn will not bear fruit.
To plant a sea buckthorn shrub, you need to properly prepare. Stages of preparation:
- Decide on the timing of landing. You can plant in spring and autumn, however, autumn planting is undesirable, as the plant may not take root as a result of temperature differences.
- The choice of place. The area where the shrub will grow should be sunny and open.
- Soil selection. Light soil is preferred. Sanding soil, chernozem and loam are suitable for planting. Soil acidity - pH 6.5–7.0 units.
- The choice of planting material. It is necessary to plant paired plants. Before planting, it is important to make sure that the seedlings have a different gender. Suitable planting material is 1–2 years old.
After completing the preparatory measures, you can begin to land. For this, the selected place must be weeded in order to get rid of weeds. Then dig a hole 50 cm deep and 50 cm in diameter. Pour fertilizers (superphosphate and humus in equal parts) to the bottom of the hole and add wood ash (one handful per plant).
Important! The sea buckthorn bush extremely negatively transfers the transplant, therefore, choosing a place for planting, you need to consider that the plant will grow there constantly.
After fertilizing the soil with fertilizers, you can put a seedling in a pit. In this case, the root zone of the plant should be close to the surface of the earth. Cover the ground and lightly tamp. Mulch after planting.For this, you need to sprinkle the parietal area with dry soil.
Video: Sea buckthorn planting
The timing of flowering and fruiting, as well as the abundance of the crop, depend on the quality of care. When caring for a young plant, it is necessary to follow certain rules and take into account the characteristics of the variety. In addition, in order to maintain the health of the bush for many years, you need to know how to protect it from pests.
- loosening and mulching;
- watering and top dressing;
- cropping and shaping;
- preparation for winter.
Loosening and mulching
In order for the soil to better pass moisture, fertilizers and oxygen, it needs to be loosened periodically and the growing weeds removed. It is important to remember that the root neck of sea buckthorn is on the surface of the earth. Loosen the soil carefully so as not to damage it. The procedure allows you to remove the topsoil, which over time becomes covered with salt crust.
Mulching is necessary in order to retain moisture in the soil and keep warm. Organic materials such as fallen leaves, shredded bark and sawdust can be used as mulch. Apply a layer of 5-8 cm.
Watering and feeding
Sea buckthorn is extremely unpretentious to the level of moisture in the soil. Shrubs are watered only in the hot and dry season - in the summer. During this period, the plant must be moistened in the morning and evening, pouring 12 liters of water under each bush. The roots of the planted plant grow widely, so the application of fertilizers will not bring any effect. Only cuttings should be fed during the formation of the root system.
Cropping and shaping
Trimming is necessary to maintain a decorative shape, as well as for prevention. Cut the shoots according to the following pattern:
- Within five years after planting, crookedly growing shoots are cut and form a regular, columnar crown.
- Starting at the age of ten, it is necessary to do a refreshing pruning, while removing all branches whose age exceeds 3 years.
- For sanitary purposes, it is necessary to annually cut off diseased, dry and poorly growing shoots.
Pruning is carried out in early spring before budding.
Propagate sea buckthorn vegetatively. Vegetative propagation methods:
- Green cuttings. The most preferred breeding method that guarantees good rooting. At the beginning of summer (mid-June), cuttings about 15 cm long must be prepared. They can be cut from the shoot of the mother and father plants. Then, having removed the three lower leaves, place in nutrient soil (river sand, chernozem and peat in equal parts). Create greenhouse conditions by covering the planting with film. Further, it is necessary to maintain a temperature of + 28 ° C and ensure air humidity of at least 90%. During the rooting period, it is necessary to regularly moisten the soil and spray the cuttings. When the cuttings take their first roots, the soil will need to be fertilized with mineral fertilizers (potassium + phosphorus in equal parts). After two months, the film can be removed and fed to young plants with fertilizers, which include potassium and phosphorus. In spring, seedlings can be planted in a permanent place in the garden.1-shoot cut from the uterine plant, 2-cuttings prepared for planting, 3-cuttings planted on a bed, 4-rooted green cuttings
- Woody cuttings. In winter, shoots must be cut at least 5 cm in thickness. Until spring, cut branches must be stored in the snow. In March, cuttings of 15 cm long should be cut from the branches. Then for two weeks place the cuttings in a container with water. This time, the kidneys and the first roots should form. After this, you need to prepare the soil by mixing humus, peat and river sand in equal proportions. Deepen the cuttings into the soil by 15 cm, leaving at least two buds on the surface. Then cover with a film and provide regular watering. It is also important to maintain air temperature within + 27 ° С and humidity about 90%.When the cuttings grow to 50 cm, they can be transplanted into the open ground.1- cutting lignified cuttings; 2- cuttings prepared for planting; 3- root formation on the handle
By vaccination, sea buckthorn is not propagated, since rooting in such cases is minimal. It is also not recommended to propagate sea buckthorn seeds. In this case, the characteristics of the variety will not be inherited, that is, the bush will grow wild.
The variety is highly resistant to frost, therefore, special measures to prepare for the winter period are not required. It is enough in the late autumn to pour a layer of mulch 7-8 cm (foliage, sawdust, pieces of bark) around the shrub. Shelter from the wind and additional insulation will not come in handy. Disturbing the plant (pruning, replanting) during the winter months is not recommended. It is very important to ensure peace of sea buckthorn during this period.
Pest Management Methods
The plant must be inspected regularly and when the first signs of pest damage appear, take urgent measures to combat them. Parasites can cause serious damage to the health of the bush and adversely affect its development and fruiting. In addition, the lack of treatment and prevention can lead to infection of other specimens.
Sea buckthorn is attacked by the following pests:
Sea-buckthorn fruits are an indispensable source of vitamins and healthy substances. Growing a decorative bush of the Vatutinsky variety is quite simple. To do this, you must follow simple landing rules and adhere to care recommendations.