Where and when does it ripen to collect cloudberries in Russia
Cloudberries are a healing berry. The plant is used as a multivitamin in winter and spring for children, the elderly, with heavy physical labor. About when cloudberries ripen, where it is harvested, what is the beneficial effect and how to apply the berry - further in the article.
Where cloudberry grows
Cloudberry is a perennial low-growing creeping herbaceous plant, which reaches a height of 5-30 cm. It is from the Rubus genus of the Pink family, with fruits similar to raspberries, blackberries, princesses. The pulp is sweet and sour and fragrant, the lobules are large. When they begin to ripen, they are first painted green or pale yellow, then red. When the berries have already finished ripening, they become yellow-orange, therefore there are other names for cloudberries - swamp amber, northern orange, royal berry, bearberry, eye-sap, and gloss. Fruits are drupes; inside the pulp there are large seed seeds.
A gloss grows in Siberia, in Karelia, in the Far East, in Komi, on the Kola Peninsula and Kamchatka. Peat bogs, moss tundra and boggy forests of the Arkhangelsk, Norilsk, Bryansk, Smolensk, Kaluga, Pskov, Vologda, Novgorod, Leningrad regions and Krasnoyarsk Krai are rich in eye-shells.
Blueberries, lingonberries and blueberries are frequent companions of the bear cub. It can also be found near sphagnum mosses and Ledum.
Causes of cloudberry yield decline:
- Undesirable conditions for the plant to ripen are frosts, heavy rains, cold winds.
- The plant is very sensitive to the ecology of the area: with increasing levels of pollution, its yield decreases.
- Due to the destruction of capercaillie, which, eating the fruits of the bear cub, contribute to its reproduction by whole seeds.
Did you know? In Belarus, a gloss can be found infrequently, it is recorded in the Red Book. Eyebrows have been able to grow on an industrial scale since the 60s of the 20th century in Sweden, Denmark, and Finland.
Every spring, direct annual growths appear on the rhizome, which reach a height of 10–20 cm. One flower grows at the end of the stem, a couple of leaves grow a little lower. The leaf is composed of 5-7 rounded lobes. This is a dioecious plant, therefore there are male flowers - stamens, they are somewhat larger (up to 3 cm in diameter) female - pistillate. The plant blooms from May to June. Flowering is very delicate: the petals are white, their length is up to 1 cm. Cloudberries are a good honey plant.
When is the time to pick berries
Cloudberry begins to sing in July - early August. Harvesting lasts only two weeks: it begins when the fruits are still red, hard and tasteless. If you transport amber-colored fruits from the forest home, then the crop may deteriorate, deformed.
The collection time also depends on the latitude in which the region is located.: the north, the later the drupes should be collected.
Going for cloudberries is allowed only for the durationprescribed by Art. 35 of the Forest Code of the Russian Federation "The procurement by citizens of food forest resources and their collection of medicinal plants for their own needs." This is the time of mass ripening of berries, and each region determines it individually. In this case, the climatic zone and weather of the current year are taken into account. This restriction was introduced in order to reduce the negative impact on the forest ecosystem and ensure the reproduction of berries in the next year. For these reasons, residents of specific regions are advised to familiarize themselves with official information regarding the harvesting period, if any.
Cloudberry in Karelia matures one of the first berries.The Ministry of Natural Resources and Ecology of the Republic did not disseminate official information on the collection of these wholesome fruits. Gloshina is found on the edges of forests, in sunny places, and by the end of June - early July it ripens in the southern regions of Karelia: Kondopoga, Lakhdenpohsky, Medvezhyegorsk, Olonetsky, Pitkyarantsky, Prionezhsky, Pryazhinsky, Pudozhsky, Sortavalsky, Suoyarvsky.
The berry is growing throughout the republic, the length of which from south to north is more than 600 km. Consequently, the berry ripens 7 days later in the northern Kostomuksha city district and the following areas: Loukhsky, Kalevalsky, Muezersky, Kemsky, Belomorsky, Segezha.
In the Vologda region harvesting of cloudberry leaves and fruits is carried out in the marshy area of the Cherepovets region. Winter is long there, and summer is short, which contributes to the growth of swamp amber. Residents of the Vologda region are legally allowed to harvest wild berries and mushrooms for all their needs in all forest areas from July 5 to October 15, 2019 in unlimited quantities, according to information published by the Department of the forest complex of the region. At the same time, they warn of a careful attitude to the forest ecosystem: for example, it is forbidden to tear out fruiting branches, use special collection devices.
August in the Arkhangelsk region generous on ripe teddy bear berries. The swamps of Krasnoborsky, Primorsky, Kargopolsky districts are especially rich in gloss. The region has not formally defined dates for harvesting berries.
In the Moscow Region Glosh plant can be found very rarely - only near the swamps. This is due to warmer climatic conditions: winter lasts less than six months, summer is hot. For these reasons, the bear cub is listed in the Red Book of Moscow Region.
Did you know? The amount of vitamin C in the clover is three times that of oranges, and the provitamin beta-carotene, the strongest antioxidant, is equal to its content in carrots or apricots. Berry juice, diluted with water, continues to have an antibacterial effect even after thirty days of storage.
Collecting swamp amber is a rather time-consuming task. Its fruits grow on the stem one at a time, so taking them in whole handfuls at the same time will not succeed.
The collected berries are brought home and scattered in a thin layer. Ripening occurs within two to three days. The berries begin to ripen, acquiring a yellow-orange color.
It is better to harvest drupe with sepals so that they do not deteriorate quickly. Fruits are stored at a temperature not exceeding + 4 ° С. The storage period of the finished product lasts 4 days, and unripe copies - 14 days.
It is better to freeze dry and undamaged fruits.. Billets in own juice - fruits mixed with sugar in a ratio of 1: 1, put for a long time in the refrigerator. Shelled cloudberries have a shelf life of two years if properly prepared.. In this case, the drupe will not turn into mashed potatoes in a year, but will remain intact.
The constituent components of mature drupes are:
- Vitamins: C, A, E, B1, B2, PP, P.
- Minerals: potassium, magnesium, sodium, phosphorus, iron, silicon, calcium, aluminum, cobalt.
- Beta carotene.
- Organic and fatty acids.
- White blood cells, white blood cells.
Swamp amber is known as anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, analgesic, diuretic. They treat burns, scabies, poisoning with salts of heavy metals.
- The use of fresh fruits contributes to:
- reduce irritation of the gastric mucosa due to the astringent properties of drupes;
- suspension of loose and frequent stools, as well as preventing dehydration;
- reduction of putrefactive processes in the intestine;
- cure colds, get rid of fever, remove toxins from the body due to the diaphoretic effect of the fruit;
- the destruction of microbes, viruses and bacteria;
- a surge of strength with anemia, severe fatigue, general weakness, after stress;
- the elimination of symptoms of stomatitis, tonsillitis, vitamin deficiency;
- prevention of rickets in debilitated children;
- normalization of metabolic processes;
- increase immune defense;
- regulation of cardiovascular activity;
- cleansing blood vessels of excess cholesterol;
- reduce high blood pressure;
- losing weight, as the product is low-calorie;
- cell repair;
- vision improvement;
- full outflow of lymph.
Important! If there is an individual intolerance, then the gloss causes an allergy. Due to organic acids, it is not recommended to use its fruits for people with a gastrointestinal ulcer.
Teddy bear fruits eat:
- cooked in the form of sweets;
- in your own juice.
When freezing, the properties of drupes and green plants are completely preserved. During heat treatment, the gloss loses a minimum of valuable substances.
Fresh fruits are consumed at least 2-3 times over a period of seven days, 100-150 g each. The most common low-calorie dish with mature drupes is sauerkraut with spices.
The beneficial properties of urinated fruits increase due to the activity of bacteria.
Cloudberries are soaked with and without sugar.
- First, the raw materials should be sorted, the stalks removed, washed and dried.
- Next, sterilized three-liter jars must be filled to the shoulders and filled with cooled boiled water.
- Then tie with gauze folded in several layers, close the capron lid and put for 2-3 months in a cool place where the temperature does not exceed + 5 ° С.
- If sugar is added, then proceed from the following calculation: 1 cup is added to 1 liter of water. The syrup should be boiled for 10 minutes, strain, cool and pour the drupes.
Important! Up to eight months of age, children are not recommended to include cloudberries in the menu. Next, add a few berries in applesauce.
If you have prepared a lot of raw materials, then it is better to wet the berries in wooden barrels, adding cloves, ginger and other spices to the syrup. The procedure for making soaked cloudberries will last no more than half an hour, but throughout the winter you will enjoy a fragrant and delicious healing berry.
Ripe drupes quickly become unusable, so after collection they must be processed immediately:
- Prepare dumplings or pie from the fruits, add blueberries, lingonberries and raspberries to the filling.
- You can make sandwiches with cottage cheese and soaked gloss.
- Non-sweet canned berries are used in vegetable and fruit salads, mashed potatoes, puddings, sauces, mushroom, meat, fish dishes, cereals.
- Nuts, dried fruits and honey are combined with the fruits of the eye-sill.
Did you know? Finnish and Swedish factories produce cloud liqueurs — popular alcoholic drinks among foreigners.
Culinary experts use decades-old recipes for preparing swamp amber, among which are:
- To prepare jam, 1 kg of sugar is combined with half a glass of water. The syrup is brought to a boil, stirring. Then add a little 1 kg of drupes, cook for half an hour. Then the mixture is recommended to pass through a sieve and boil for another 10 minutes.
- For pastilles berries should be dried, put in the oven. Wipe the warmed fruits using a sieve, and add one part of sugar and two - cloudberries. Place in the oven again and dry over low heat on paper for two days. The thickness of the layer of pastilles should not be more than 1 cm.
- Compote it is prepared like this: they wash the fruits, put them in jars, fill them with sugar, pour boiled water. Sterilization lasts 20 minutes. Then the banks should be rolled up.
- For jelly drupes should be chopped, add water, bring to a boil, strain, add gelatin and sugar, cook for 30 minutes and pack on plates.
- Wipe one kilogram of ripe Arctic raspberries using a sieve and mix with 1 kg of sugar. Pour the finished mass into jars. You can make a squeeze out fruit drink.
- Cloudberry juice: drupes scalded with boiled water, wiped through a sieve, add sugar at the rate of 0.5 kg per 1 liter of liquid. Long-term storage of the product involves pasteurization.
In folk medicine
Healing properties are possessed not only by fruits, but also by rhizome, leaves, and sepals. It is recommended to harvest the green parts of the plant from May to June, the roots from September to October.
Did you know? As a result of studies, it was proved that the fruits of the glossy prevent the progression of malignant neoplasms. Therefore, they are recommended to be used as a preventive drug for oncology.
- An infusion of 5 g of dried sepals is prepared, brewing them with 200 ml of boiled water. All is covered with a plate and left for several hours. They drink such a healing drink with depressed mood, bronchitis, tuberculosis.
- A few dried sepals in traditional tea will give it a fragrance and a refreshing taste. Instead of sugar, add rose hips and honey.
- An infusion of leaves helps stop bleeding, relieves symptoms of a bladder disease, ascites. Preparation: 15 g of dried raw materials are poured into 200 ml of boiled water, covered and kept in a dark place for four hours. Then the liquid is filtered and taken three times in 24 hours at 50 ml.
- For the treatment of gout, swelling, dropsy, cystitis and edema caused by impaired renal function, prepare the following broth: 60 g of a mixture of dried leaves and rhizomes should be poured with half a liter of water, boil for 10 minutes, reduce heat and leave for another 5 minutes. Next, cover everything with a plate and leave for 2 hours, then strain. Consume the broth 4 times in the course of 24 hours before eating 100 ml.
- For the treatment of ulcers fresh leaves should be greased with fish oil and applied to affected skin. Bandaging is recommended to be changed twice in 24 hours.
- To increase your appetite, mix in a ratio of 1: 1 water and juice of berries, drink daily.
- Drupe paste is applied to the affected areas. to relieve itching and pain in tumors.
Citric acid, salicylic acid, malic acid, retinol and tocopherol contained in the gloss are used in the cosmetology industry: these substances renew and tighten the skin.
Use the recipe to prepare a moisturizing and nourishing mask:
- Take 30 g of ripe drupes and 20 g of sour cream. Mash the fruits in mashed potatoes, mix with a fermented milk product, apply to clean skin of the face or décolleté.
- After 15 minutes, rinse off the mask with warm water. Repeat the procedure weekly.
Juice from the eye of drupes has a bactericidal and restorative effect. It is used to treat dermatitis, heal small wounds, and get rid of acne. The practical use of fruit juice is to add a small amount to a daily skin cream.
Important! Because of the property of lowering pressure, the use of eye sockets is contraindicated at the same time as hypertension medications. Berry juice is forbidden to drink in case of severe renal impairment.
Cloudberry antioxidant extract is used as a tonic and moisturizing component of cosmetics.. For example, using conditioner and shampoo with the addition of this plant, you can strengthen the hair, restore their damaged structure, give shine and refresh their natural color. The seeds of the northern plant are squeezed and get oil with a delicate smell, moisturizing and nourishing properties. Balm lubricate dry skin, nail plates, hair.Oil is often added to the composition of medical cosmetics - for example, in foams, gels, liquid soaps, anti-aging creams.
Swamp amber is a natural treasure of the northern region. The constant consumption of fresh, soaked or honey-dried cloudberries in food contributes to excellent health and good spirits for many long years.