Growing blueberries from seeds at home
Bilberry is a small bush with edible blue-black berries, belongs to the Vereskov family. Propagated by such methods: dividing the bush, cuttings, seed method. Reproduction by seeds is a fairly easy and common way. Its only drawback is the longer growing process.
What do blueberry seeds look like?
Blueberries have a dark blue flesh, which can contain up to 40 small seeds (usually less). This is the seed for planting. They look like small bones. To obtain seed material, you need to choose large varietal well-ripened berries. You can use frozen blueberries purchased at the supermarket or purchase seeds at the store.
They need to be taken and placed in a container with cool water. Poor quality seeds and pulp will rise to the surface. They need to be collected and replaced with water. The process is repeated several times. Quality seeds will remain at the bottom of the container with the liquid.
Important! Seeds taken from forest blueberries, as a rule, do not take root in suburban areas. And if they can still adapt in such a place, then they grow and develop poorly.
The best varieties for planting
For planting, experts recommend selecting the seed of the following garden varieties of blueberries:
- Bluecrop. One of the first varieties that were bred to grow in suburban areas. The bush grows to 2 m and gives a yield of 10-12 kg. It has high frost resistance (up to –35 ° С). The berry has a weight of about 3 g and a sweet and sour taste. Bushes need regular pruning.
- North Country. The bush grows on average 1.3–1.5 m and gives an early harvest of about 15 kg. Harvest can be harvested from the second half of July. Round berries reach 1.5 cm.
- Herbert. Tall bush (2 m or more) was called "blueberry tree". This variety has a later flowering, so the return of frost in the spring is not terrible for him. Fruits in the second half of August. From one copy receive about 10 kg of fruit. Tolerates frost and drought, and also has a high resistance to disease.
- Dark night. Low-growing pieces 25–40 cm high. Berries have healing properties and are 9–12 mm in size. Juicy fruits have a sweet and sour taste.
- Black gold. Low-growing shrubs that reach a height of up to 40 cm. Round juicy berries are 8-12 mm in size. They taste sweet with a pleasant acidity.
- Bluegold. A strong and sprawling shrub 1.1-1.5 m high. The berries are large - in the section 2.5-3 cm. Black berries have a sweet and sour taste. The fruits are harvested from July to September. From one copy you can get 5.5-7 kg of the crop. The grade is frost-resistant.
- Patriot. The bush reaches a height of up to 1.5 m. The variety stands out for its rapid growth. The fruits are slightly flattened and very sweet, have a noticeable aroma. From one copy receive 5.5-7 kg. The variety is resistant to frost and disease.
Experts recommend the following landing dates:
- Before the cold season, namely in October. For this, dry seed material is used.
- In early spring. In this case, it should be planted with dried seeds that have passed the stratification process.
If berries from the supermarket are used for planting, then they can simply be planted shallow in the soil for the winter. In this case, the probability of successful germination is small, but why not try if there is planting material.
Sowing seeds and growing seedlings is not difficult at home. The main thing is to create the necessary soil and moisture conditions, adhere to the recommendations of planting and care specialists.
Did you know? The Russian name for blueberries comes from the ability of its black and purple berries to stain with their juice - it can stain tissues in red and blue, depending on the reagents. Used as a food color in purple.
Before planting in the spring, blueberries must undergo a stratification process that mimics the natural wintering of seeds in nature. The procedure significantly increases the germination of planting material and the best development of the plant in the future. To do this, the seeds are placed in a container with soil at the end of autumn and transferred to a cool place (basement, refrigerator shelf).
If desired, you can plant the seeds immediately on the prepared site. If frozen blueberries are used for this, the stratification process is considered already completed.
Did you know? For medicinal purposes, you can use not only berries, but also blueberry leaves. Its shoots are part of the Arfazetin diabetes collection.
Blueberries prefer acid soils (pH 4–5) that are light in structure. Therefore, a nutritious soil mixture is prepared for planting. To do this, peat, sand (used only by river) and showered needles are mixed in equal parts. The resulting mixture is placed in a suitable container for upsetting. You can use small pots.
Seeds are placed in pots with pre-moistened prepared soil with a toothpick. Planting seeds does not need to be deep. Before this, grooves are made up to 0.7 cm. Then you need to moisturize with a spray gun. After that, the container is placed in a warm place, which has good shading, since sunlight is undesirable.
A container with a landing is covered with a film to create a greenhouse effect. Every day, during humidification, the film is removed for ventilation for 10-15 minutes. The first shoots will appear in a few weeks. After their appearance, the film is removed. For irrigation use a spray gun. It is necessary to carry out moderate regular watering.
Important! This plant crop loves moisture and does not tolerate dry soil. But overflows are also unacceptable.
When to change to a permanent place
Landing at a permanent place is carried out the next year, preferably in the spring (March-April). The landing site is chosen in partial shade. Landing is carried out by the method of transshipment (with a lump of earth on the roots) into prepared holes. They are dug 45 cm deep and filled with a nutritious mixture of peat and sand with the addition of beautiful pine needles or leaves. Ordinary blueberries are planted according to the scheme 25 × 35 cm, tall - 1 × 1.5–2 m. Planting is moistened and mulched.
Blueberries are demanding on growing conditions. She needs regular moisturizing, acidic, nutritious soil and recommended mulching. Blueberry bushes need annual pruning.
Important! After planting with seeds, the first crop can be obtained only 5 years after the appearance of sprouts.
The blueberry root system is close to the surface of the earth. It should be moderately watered and monitored so that there is no drying out of the soil or excessive waterlogging, stagnation of water. Do not allow erosion of soil erosion. This berry crop loves sprinkling in the heat.If the earth is not acidic enough, then a small amount of citric acid is added to the water for irrigation.
Blueberries have good fertility with nutrient abundance. Therefore, the plant is fed with both mineral fertilizers and organics. Young plants are not fed. The need for them appears after 2 years of fruiting, that is, from 7 years of life. They introduce complex mineral fertilizers for heather and well-overripe organics (humus, peat crumbs, chicken droppings). Organic components are added to the soil every 3-4 years, and chemical - annually.
The first top dressing is done in the spring, and the second in the summer. As a spring fertilizer you can use Aciplex (10 g per 10 l). Such top dressing should be done 2 times with an interval of 10 days. In June, it is good to feed the blueberry bushes with Piafoscan (20 g per 10 l). If there is a lack of acidity of the earth, it is recommended to add 50 g of sulfur powder under each bush.
Weeding and mulching
Weed grass has a depressing effect on the culture, and it is necessary to get rid of it. Due to the close location of the blueberry roots to the surface, loosening and weeding is done accurately and superficially (up to 3 cm). It is better to replace these procedures with mulching. Mulch will help maintain moisture, provide additional nutrition for plants, prevent weeds from growing, improve soil quality, and protect roots from drying out and damage.
Mulching is best done with rotted needles and leaves, moss. For winter, it is recommended to lay a fresh thick layer of mulch, which protects the roots from frost. This is especially true during winters with little snow. Young plantings are recommended to be covered with spruce top.
Did you know? Blueberries have antioxidants - flavonoids, anthocyanins, tannins, as well as pectins, vitamins (C, A, group B). The use of these healthy berries improves blood circulation in the retina, which prevents the occurrence of certain eye diseases.
Blueberry seedlings can be grown at home. Plants are transplanted to a permanent place in the 2nd year of life and create optimal conditions for them. Fruit bushes grown from seeds will yield crops only 5 years after germination.